Custom House Dublin Ireland about 1892

Custom House Dublin Ireland 1892

CUSTOM HOUSE DUBLIN IRELAND — Dublin has several noble edifices, among which is its Custom House, opened in 1791, and erected at a cost of about two million dollars. Standing on the north side of the river Liffey, which flows directly through the city, it is seen on three sides to admirable advantage. From the center rises a dome 125 feet high and surmounted by a statue symbolical of an invariable characteristic of the Irish, HOPE. Notwithstanding this handsome structure; Dublin has not so much business activity as we should expect to find in so large and important a city, and Belfast is said to transact a larger general trade. The docks in the river have been improved, the river itself has been deepened, and new wharves have been constructed, but the custom dues have for many years remained almost stationary. Dublin produces little for exportation now save whiskey and porter. It has now but few manufactures and these are of trifling value. The public buildings in Dublin which rival this Custom House in elegance of architecture are the Bank of Ireland (formerly the House of Parliament), St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and above all, Trinity College, which is an honor not only to Ireland, but to Great Britain. But in striking contrast to these and other evidences of wealth in Dublin, there is a vast amount of poverty in the city, and street after street of wretched tenements produce a painful impression on the traveler’s mind. Still the happy buoyant disposition of the Irish is visible despite rags and tatters, as an April sun shines through the clouds and rain, and sadness is not a characteristic of the capital of the Emerald Isle. (from John L. Stoddard, Glimpses of the world; a portfolio of photographs of the marvelous works of God and man – 1892)

References:

External Links:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *