The Philipse Mill and the Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow 1903

The Philipse Mill in Sleepy Hollow

The Philipse Mill in Sleepy Hollow, built in 1683, in 1903

In 1664 England gained control of the region. A Dutchman who had Anglicized his name to Frederick Philipse, was awarded 100,000 acres of land by royal charter, becoming New York’s greatest “Lord of the Manor.” His property extended from Spuyten Duyvil north to the Croton River, and from the Hudson River east to the Bronx River. In what would become Sleepy Hollow he build his Upper Mills.  His other residence was at Philipse Manor in Yonkers. (from Brief History of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow )

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow in 1903

Tablet on church “Erected and Built by Frederick Philipse and Catharine Van Cortlandt His wife in 1699.”

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), is a 17th-century stone church located on Albany Post Road (U.S. Route 9) in Sleepy Hollow, New York, United States. It and its five-acre (2 ha) churchyard feature prominently in Washington Irving’s “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”. The churchyard is often confused with the contiguous but separate Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.
It is the second oldest extant church and the 15th oldest extant building in the state of New York, renovated after an 1837 fire. Some of those renovations were reversed 60 years later, and further work was done in 1960. It was listed on the Register in 1966, among the earliest properties so recognized. It had already been designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. It is still the property of the Reformed Church of the Tarrytowns, which holds summer services there, as well as on special occasions such as Christmas Eve. (from Wikipedia)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is a short story of speculative fiction by American author Washington Irving, contained in his collection of 34 essays and short stories entitled, The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.. Written while Irving was living abroad in Birmingham, England, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” was first published in 1820. Along with Irving’s companion piece “Rip Van Winkle”, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is among the earliest examples of American fiction with enduring popularity, especially during Halloween.

The story is set in 1790 in the countryside around the Dutch settlement of Tarry Town (historical Tarrytown, New York), in a secluded glen called Sleepy Hollow. Sleepy Hollow is renowned for its ghosts and the haunting atmosphere that pervades the imaginations of its inhabitants and visitors. Some residents say this town was bewitched during the early days of the Dutch settlement. Other residents say an old Native American chief, the wizard of his tribe, held his powwows here before the country was discovered by Master Hendrick Hudson. The most infamous spectre in the Hollow is the Headless Horseman, said to be the ghost of a Hessian trooper that had his head shot off by a stray cannonball during “some nameless battle” of the American Revolutionary War, and who “rides forth to the scene of battle in nightly quest of his head”. (from Wikipedia)

 

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *