Club House, Ardsley Country Club, Ardsley-on-Hudson NY 1902
In 1895, newspapers across the country carried detailed reports of the opening of a prestigious new club on the banks of the Hudson River.
With the support of some of the most notable and successful men in the United States, including Jay Gould, Cornelius Vanderbilt, J. Pierpont Morgan, William Rockefeller and Amzi Lorenzo Barber, the establishment of The Ardsley Casino was a nationally noted event.
The original clubhouse overlooked the Hudson River on the site where Hudson House now stands, opposite the Ardsley-on-Hudson railroad station. That clubhouse, which the station matches in architectural style, had a private dock to accommodate the yachts of Casino members. The “finest and longest golf course in the world” was designed by golfing great of that era Willie Dunn, who was also engaged as the Club’s first Golf Professional. The course would later be redesigned by such noted architects as Donald Ross and Dr. Allister Mackenzie. In 1898 the Ardsley course was the site of the third USGA Women’s Amateur Golf Tournament. Grass tennis courts were also constructed, which attracted top-ranked professionals from across the country. Stables were built on the hillside, from which the Ardsley stagecoach Tally-Ho! departed each weekday for the Hotel Brunswick on lower Fifth Avenue. (from Ardsley Country Club – Club History)